+EMERGENCY & AFTER HOURS
(727) 786-5755

Reviews


Hours of Operation

Monday-Friday: 5:30PM-7:00AM
Weekend: Saturday Noon -
     7:00AM Monday morning
Holidays:
Open 24 hours

Call Animal Emergency Veterinary Hospital now for immediate service

Pet Emergency: What to Do

  1. Stay Calm
  2. Call (727) 786-5755
  3. Be prepared with info:
    • Type/Breed
    • Details of problem
    • Any changes
  4. Be aware. Pets may bite if ill or injured.

Location

30610 US Highway 19 N,
Palm Harbor, FL 34684

One block north of Curlew Road on the west side Please call ahead for advice and so we can prepare your arrival.

Directions to
Veterinary Clinic

Click for larger map & directions
Map to Our Veterinary Clinic

Grapes and Raisins Poisoning

Why are grapes and raisins toxic to dogs? Unfortunately, we still have no answer to this question, but this doesn’t mean the risk of toxic poisoning from grapes and raisins should be ignored. Especially since even the smallest amount can prove to be fatally toxic.

On top of not knowing what causes the toxic poisoning, experts also have yet to exclude any breeds or genders of canines from the at-risk group. The most serious complications caused by ingesting a grape include severe kidney damage, which can lead to kidney failure and a lack of urine production. Though, this isn’t the case for every dog after ingesting grapes. Much like what causes the problem in the first place, the jury is still out on why some dogs are more likely to experience adverse effects than others.

Common Symptoms

Ingesting grapes and/or raisins will usually cause dogs to develop a combination of the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea; In most cases, these symptoms will manifest in a few short hours, and the excretions may contain pieces of grapes or raisins.
  • Decreased appetite
  • Lethargy, weakness, and unusual changes in personality
  • Abdominal pain and discomfort
  • Oliguria (producing and passing only a small amount of urine)
  • Anuria (no longer producing or passing urine)
  • Foul breath
  • Oral Ulcers
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Coma

Causes

Ingesting even the smallest amount of grapes or raisins can cause the symptoms listed above. As previously mentioned, the toxic agent has yet to be identified, though researchers believe the skin of grapes and raisins may be the culprit.

Treatment

Toxic poisoning caused by grapes and raisins should be considered an emergency, and needs to be treated immediately. If you’re sure that your pet has ingested any amount of grapes and/or raisins within the last two hours, you should induce vomiting as soon as possible, before any amount of toxins are fully absorbed.

Though, you should not induce vomiting if your dog is:

  • Unconscious
  • Having trouble breathing
  • Exhibiting signs of serious distress or shock

If your dog has already vomited, do not try to force him or her to do it again, and call your vet for advice. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INDUCE VOMITING WITHOUT CONSULTING YOUR VET.

If they recommend that you induce vomiting at home, follow these instructions:

  • If your dog hasn’t eaten in the last few hours, offer him or her a small meal; this will make it easier for your dog to vomit, but is not necessary if the dog is uninterested in food.
  • Measure 1 milliliter (ml) of 3% hydrogen peroxide per pound of the dog’s weight, using a syringe with no needle or a teaspoon. Keep in mind, you should not administer more than 45 ml of hydrogen peroxide to your dog, even if it weighs more than 45 pounds.
  • Use a syringe with no needle or a turkey baster to squirt the hydrogen peroxide into the back of the dog’s mouth.
  • If your dog does not vomit within 15 minutes of administering hydrogen peroxide, you can repeat the process. This method should not be used more than twice, and should be spaced in 15 minute intervals.

Whether your dog vomits or not, following initial care, they should be immediately rushed to a veterinary facility. Your vet may need to perform a gastric lavage, or administer activated charcoal to absorb any toxins that remain, and to protect your pet’s kidneys from any further damage.

On evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays, call Animal Emergency at 727-786-5755.

The information provided on this site is intended for informational and educational purposes only. It is not intended to replace professional care from your veterinarian.