Bufo Toads

Bufo Toads are commonly found in central Florida including Pinellas, Pasco, and Hillsborough Counties. Bufos can kill your dog. These toads are often large and can grow to the size of a dinner plate. They have glands on the side of their heads that secrete a toxic substance. If your dog touches the toad with his mouth, he can die from the toxins in a matter or hours or sometimes even minutes.

A common victim is the terrier breed, such as Yorkshire or Jack Russell Terriers. Signs that your dog has been poisoned by a Bufo include:

  • Clenching of the teeth
  • Prominent salivation
  • Neurological signs like eyes jetting back and forth, rigid limbs, and seizures.
  • The hallmark sign — “brick red gums.”
  • If you suspect that your pet has come into contact with a Bufo toad, immediately wash out your pet’s mouth. Be careful to direct the water from the side of your dog’s mouth and towards the nose, so that the poison flows out of the mouth.

Then immediately take your pet to your veterinarian, since Bufo toad toxicity is potentially fatal.

On evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays, call Animal Emergency at 727-786-5755.