Common Household Items Toxic to Pets

Our pets sure love getting into things they shouldn’t. Sometimes pet owners aren’t even aware of just how many common items around the house are poisonous to their pets. Here are some items that your pet should steer clear from.

Plants

Certain types of plants are dangerous for cats especially. Many people keep an aloe plant on hand for burns or as a lovely garden ornamental. However, if your cat ingests this plant, the results can be awful. Vomiting, depression, tremors, and diarrhea are all symptoms that a cat has ingested some part of your aloe plant.

True lilies such as Tiger, Day, Asiatic, and Easter are the most dangerous plants your cat can ingest. Even a small amount can cause kidney failure. The scariest part is just how common lilies are. They smell wonderful and look good in any garden. They’re inexpensive, therefore included in most flower arrangements. It’s crucial that you watch out for this plant and keep your cat far away from it.

Hazardous Foods

So many common foods result in guaranteed trips to the emergency vet if consumed by your pet. Most pet owners know the dangers of chocolate to dogs, but did you realize grapes and raisins are equally lethal? If your dog eats any grapes or raisins, he can suffer acute kidney failure as a result.

Macadamia nuts can also cause depression and hypothermia in dogs, and onions are known to cause digestive upset in cats. Learn the risks of these and other common foods and keep your pet out of the kitchen when these items are out.

Common Chemicals and Detergents

The most used and popular cleaning agents and bleaches prove a hazard to our pets if ingested. These are also products most people store in low cabinets, easily accessible to our cats and dogs. Lock these items up high and out of reach and when used, be sure to wipe away any access liquid or residue present.

Over the Counter Medicines

Pain killers like Advil, Ibuprofen, and other NSAIDs do not offer the same relief for pets as they do for humans. Quite the opposite, even one or two pills can cause ulcers or kidney failure in pets. Liver damage and decreased oxygen flow are also potential risks, so be responsible in storing your medicines in a way that your pet cannot get to them.

Look out for any changes in your pet’s health, such as diarrhea, vomiting, or otherwise. If you suspect that your pet has ingested potential hazardous substances, contact the nearest emergency vet immediately.