We all like to have a beautiful lawn and garden. The use of fertilizers and pesticides is common practice. Although these products may help us achieve the dream yard we desire, the chemicals found in many commercial fertilizers and pesticides can be toxic to humans, the environment, and the pets we love. Do your research before choosing a product. There are many options to choose from if you want to keep your pets safe.
Go organic. There are products on the market which are safe for your pets, your children and the environment. Check out these products here www.espoma.com. And this site www.cleanairgardening.com/pestcontrol.html?has many options for organic pesticides.
If you choose to go organic, making your own fertilizer is one option to consider. It can be time consuming but inexpensive and safe for man’s best friend. One way to make your own fertilizer is to start composting. Composting won’t cost you anything and will use things that you already have on hand such as kitchen waste.
If you still feel the need to use a chemical fertilizer or pesticide, follow these tips to keep your pet safe from harm.
- Store all chemical fertilizer and pesticide where your pet can not access it.
- Keep your animal’s exposure to your yard to a minimum after application.
- If you think your pet has been exposed to the yard just after application, wash his feet well as soon as possible.
- Carefully read the directions to determine whether you should “water in” the chemicals or let them dry before you let your pet into the yard.
Some chemical fertilizers and pesticides contain iron. High doses of iron can cause dogs serious problems if ingested. Signs of iron ingestion are gastric upset, lethargy, diarrhea and lack of appetite. Other signs that your pet has been affected by fertilizer or pesticide are foaming at the mouth and in more serious cases, seizures. Consult your veterinarian immediately if you suspect that your pet has come into contact with chemical fertilizers or pesticides.