Most everyone has heard that chocolate is poisoness to dogs. But why is this?
Chocolate is made from the fruit beans of the cacao tree. This fruit contains a compound call Theobromine, which is the toxic substance that effects dogs and other pets. This, in combination with caffeine found in smaller quantities in chocolate can have the following effect in dogs:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Central Nervous System (CNS) stimulant
- Cardiovascular stimulant
- Increase blood pressure (mild)
Some chocolates are more toxic than others. Although all of it should be kept out of reach of your animals, be especially mindful of dry cocoa powder which can contain 16-18 times more Theobromine as milk chocolate. Uunsweetened baker’s chocolate is a close second followed by semisweet and dark chocolate.